Basundi – quick and easy recipe of sweet thick milk flavored with cardamom and dry fruits.
- 400g sweetened condensed milk, 1 tin
- 4 to 5 cups full fat milk, 1 to 1.25li full fat milk ( you can adjust the amount of milk as per your taste.)
- 5 cardamoms, powdered in a mortar-pestle,
- 12 to 15 cashews, chopped
- 12 to 15 pistachios, chopped
- 12 to 15 almonds, chopped
- 7 to 8 strands of saffron (optional)
- a generous pinch of nutmeg powder
- a few strands of saffron for garnish
- Add milk and condensed milk in a thick bottomed saucepan and stir and mix well.
- The amount of milk to be added depends on the sweetness of the condensed milk. so for one tin of condensed milk, you can add the amount of milk as per your taste. Taste this mixture and if its too sweet, then add more milk. also keep in mind the mixture thickens while cooking, so add the milk accordingly.
- Heat this mixture on a low flame and bring to a gentle boil. Keep on stirring at intervals so that the mixture does not get browned or burnt from bottom.
- The Basundi mixture would begin to thicken.
- Scrape the milk solids from the sides and the cream collected on the top and add it back to the Basundi mixture. overall cooking takes about 20 to 25 minutes on a low flame.
- Add nutmeg powder, chopped dry fruits, cardamom powder and saffron.
- Stir and simmer for a minute.
- Serve Basundi hot or chilled garnished with some saffron strands.